Criteria for the cto of the year
- Adds significant value to the Company’s performance through technology and innovation while enhancing collaborative innovation, from leadership through operations
- Emphasises the importance of cross-sector cooperation and demand-driven R&D
- Creates a culture of innovation, through inclusive leadership, greater engagement, and rich collaboration throughout the organisation
- Integrates key agility principles and design thinking into strategic planning decisions for sustained improvement
- Has successfully tailored the R&D capability of the Company to its business environment, through technological forward-thinking, customer focus and expertise
- Has a technology-enabled product and/or service portfolio that is innovative, globally competitive and either already well known or rapidly gaining terrain, supported by a well-funded R&D strategy
- Has built a strong open innovation ecosystem inside and outside the Company with an approach to accelerate success, inspire engagement, and ignite creativity
- Has a well-developed holistic system engineered to overcome common barriers to successful innovation
- Strives to accelerate innovation efforts to achieve even greater competitive advantage and societal impact
- Explores dramatic new approaches to open and disruptive innovation creating new markets and value networks
- Both the CTO and the Company are forerunners in responsible innovation
- Both the CTO and the Company conduct innovative and impactful work with the greatest likely long-term significance in the fields of science, technology & other related disciplines
- Both the CTO and the Company contribute to increased economic competitiveness of Europe
- Both the CTO and the Company contribute to working groups, societies and other bodies working for development of the European industry and the society at large
- Both the CTO and the Company demonstrate achievements in promoting and advancing sustainable development
The CTO, in this context, does not necessarily have to be a CTO (Chief Technology Officer) by title. However, the person shall be responsible for the company’s technology and its development at the highest level, whether called a CTO, Head of Research, VP of Product Development, R&D Manager, Chief Scientist, or any such title.
The criteria shall be weighed differently for the two categories: SMEs* and large corporations.
* “The category of micro, small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) is made up of enterprises which employ fewer than 250 persons and which have an annual turnover not exceeding 50 million euro, and/or an annual balance sheet total not exceeding 43 million euro.’ Extract of Article 2 of the Annex of Recommendation 2003/361/EC.